This month our resident fashionista expertly guides us through the January sales
January can be a notoriously tricky time to brave the shops. Yes, we all love bagging a bargain in those sales, but how do you know what to get? It’s too late to buy into last season’s trends and with the weather shifting again no one wants to invest too heavily in bulky winter gear. I’ve put together a helpful checklist to keep you sale savvy…
- It might sound dull, but making a list of what you’re looking for will minimise those impulse purchases. Have your favourite heels scuffed beyond repair? Is your white work shirt looking anything but white? Pick which items need restocking and keep an eye out for these.
- You can’t beat the basics! Trends change but those timeless items (think leather gloves, nude heels, jeans and classic handbags) will work just as hard all year round. Then you can build on these and update your look as fashions evolve. For example, I’m on the hunt for a lightweight trench coat which will work perfectly now with black riding boots, layered knits and nice chunky scarf, but will transition through the seasons and still look current in April with a summer dress and pretty flats.
- Now, while I wouldn’t recommend filling your wardrobe with all last year’s fashion whims, sales can be a great place to experiment. If you’ve been lusting over those animal print leggings or feather earrings for months but haven’t felt quite confident enough to pay full price, this could be your chance to test out a more adventurous look.
- Personally I love a long day trawling the rails, digging out bargains and revelling in a fashion-fuelled fatigue. However, less hardened shoppers might dread those weeks where you can’t see the back of the shop for eager bargain hunters and mounds of discounted stock. If that’s the case, never fear – head online to skip the queues and packed changing rooms. There are more sizes available and often better bargains, just be sure to check out the returns policy.
- If you’re keen to get a head start on all the hottest looks for next season, check out our fashion forecast for the New Year and look out for the key trends.
- This is also an ideal time to invest in any designer pieces you have your eye on. Leather handbags, purses, cashmere jumpers and jewellery often have huge mark downs at this time and are worth snapping up.
By Pippa Park